Apply Now! Take A Tour
high school students



What is Dual Enrollment?
Dual enrollment is a program where eligible high school students attend college classes and earn high school credit and college credit at the same time. The credits that students earn must be applicable toward high school graduation and acceptable toward an Associate or Baccalaureate degree.

What is Early Admissions?
Early Admissions is a type of dual enrollment that has the same eligibility requirements as dual enrollment. The difference between the two programs is that the student is not enrolled in any other curriculum besides the dual enrollment courses. The student attends the college full-time. As a result, students need to have identified their major or at least a general field of study because they will be earning a significant number of college credit hours towards their AA degree.

What is the Collegiate High School program?
The Collegiate High School program allows admitted students to complete a full 60 credits of dual enrollment coursework, culminating in earning both a standard high school diploma as well as an Associate of Arts (AA) Degree upon completing four years of high school.

Current students in grades 5-8 who are interested in being eligible to participate in the program as a 9th grader should plan to be on track to take at least one academic (math, English, science, language) high school course while an 8th grader. Eighth graders must have a minimum of an unweighted 3.0 GPA in their core academic course work (math, English, etc.) AND a minimum of an unweighted 3.0 GPA in their high school courses in order to be eligible to apply to the Collegiate High School.

This exclusive (students will be chosen by a lottery of qualified applicants) and very rigorous (the student will be in an "Honors" track with SJR State) program is being provided to students in Clay and Putnam counties.

What are the benefits of dual enrollment?

1. Saves parents and students money because tuition and lab fees are waived.

2. Shortens time to earn a college degree.

3. Offers challenging courses.

4. Gives students the opportunity to earn high school credit and college credit at the same time.

5. Awards students with college credit that is transferable to any Florida public college or university.

Who is eligible for Dual Enrollment?

1. Students who have an overall unweighted 3.0 grade point average.

2. Students that have appropriate scores for the SAT, ACT, CPT, or PERT exams.

3. Permission from a parent or guardian and your high school guidance counselor.

4. Students that understand the amount of work necessary to succeed in dual enrollment will be greater than in high school courses.

Note: Student must maintain a 3.0 GPA in high school.

Do I have to pay for dual enrollment?

1. Dual enrollment is free, in terms of tuition and fees.

2. Private school students and home school students have to pay for books.

Do I have to take a standardized test?

1. Yes. You must have taken the SAT, ACT, CPT, or PERT.

2. You must provide an official copy of your test scores.

3. Test score cannot be more than two years old.

4. If you do not have test scores from one of these exams you will not be able to register for class.

What scores must I have on the standardized tests?
View updated placement test score requirements.

If I have already taken one of the standardized tests will the college accept a copy or does it have to be the original scores?
You will need the official copy of your test scores.

Study Guides are available in the Counseling Centers and online:

What Courses can I take?

1. Dual enrollment students that have college ready test scores can take Math and English as well as general education classes. College readiness is determined by the scores from the SAT, ACT, CPT and PERT.

2. Students that are not college ready can take classes in areas such as the social sciences, business, etc. (Contact your high school for questions pertaining to this.)

3. Students should concentrate on becoming college ready as soon as possible.

4. Dual enrollment students cannot take remedial courses or courses that do not count as a college credit.

Where can I take dual enrollment courses?

1. Courses may be taken before, during or after school and also during summer.

2. Courses can be at the college, online, or at your high school if available.

How many classes can I take per semester?

1. Students may take up to 10 credit hours per fall and spring semesters and 8 credit hours maximum in the summer (or a total of two courses).

2. Students must meet with their guidance counselors or dual enrollment contact, to assure the student’s schedule meets their high school graduation requirements.

3. Students with a lot of extracurricular activities need to think about the time commitment needed to be successful in dual enrollment. General rule, every hour spent in class is three hours spent studying.

Can I take classes over the summer?

1. Students that are rising juniors and seniors can take summer courses at the college based upon receiving approval from their high school’s dual enrollment contact.

2. Students can take a maximum of 8 credit hours for the summer term (or a total of two courses).

3. Keep in mind that summer courses consist of the same amount of work in half the time.

Can I take only dual enrollment classes?
In your senior year, students that have been approved by their guidance counselor can be registered as early admissions. Early admission is when a student is taking only dual enrollment courses and is considered a full-time college student.

How does dual enrollment affect my grades?

1. Dual enrollment is the start of your college transcript. The grades you earn in dual enrollment will follow you forever.

2. These grades can affect your college admissions, Bright futures, and financial aid eligibility. Please be aware of your college GPA. Take dual enrollment courses seriously.

3. Students that earn a grade below “C” or withdrawal from a course will be removed from the dual enrollment program.

4. If a student’s high school GPA drops below 3.0, they will be removed from the dual enrollment program.

How do I apply for dual enrollment?

1. You must fill out a dual enrollment application which also includes the principles of participation. These forms are available in your guidance office. If you are home-schooled contact the dual enrollment office for a home school packet.

2. All forms must be signed by you, your parent or guardian, and the high school guidance counselor.

3. You have to apply early. It is the students’ responsibility to know when the registration dates are and have all your paperwork turned in no later than two weeks before registration begins.

4. Students who do not have all their paperwork (application, principles of participation, and test scores) will not be processed.

When Should I submit my application for dual enrollment?
You must submit you application and a copy of official test scores to the dual enrollment office no later than 30 working days prior to the start of registration of the desired term of enrollment.

How do I register for class?

1. The registration process starts with your high school’s dual enrollment contact (usually a designated guidance counselor). The students are responsible for knowing the dates to meet with their high school’s dual enrollment contact to begin the process.

2. The registration form has to be signed by you and your guidance counselor, then the paperwork is submitted to SJR State’ s Dual Enrollment department where it is processed.

3. On the designated dual enrollment registration date, the student’s registration form will be entered into SJR State’s computer system.

4. Remember, just because you select a particular section on your registration form does not mean you will be registered for that course. The majority of the time, if you do not get the class selected, it is because the section is closed, which means additional students cannot be added. Please be flexible and have a backup plan.

I had my registration turned in on time and did not get all my classes. What do I do?

1. Dual enrollment registration forms must be turned in by a specific deadline. These deadlines are usually weeks ahead of the actual start of registration.

2. By the end of deadline date the forms are sent to the dual enrollment office in Palatka, FL. where they are processed. The Dual Enrollment office serves 18 high schools as well as private and home-school students, which is the reason that the deadline has to be earlier than the designated registration date.

3. Regular (fee paying) students register before dual enrollment students. Unfortunately some courses fill up before dual enrollment students can register.

4. In the college setting, courses have limited seating capacities and as a result classes fill up, which means just because you put a certain course on the registration form does not guarantee that you will get into that particular course.

5. Always have a backup plan when selecting courses. Sometimes we will have to adjust a student’s schedule several times before we can get them into a course. Please be patient and remember all college students experience class closures.

How do I order my transcripts?

1. Transcripts can be ordered at SJRstate.edu under the student tab you will see transcripts/records.

2. Students can order up to 5 transcripts at one time and send them to 5 different recipients.

3. It’s very important that you know when the college you are applying to is accepting applications and transcripts.

4. If attending another college or university, please remember to order your SJR State transcript after high school graduation.

Does SJR State provide an accommodation if a student has disabilities?

Yes, SJR State does provide accommodations when the appropriate documentation is provided. The student will work with SJR State Disabilities Services to determine what documentation is needed.

Differences between High School and College - Students with Disabilities (PDF)

Students with disabilities are welcome at SJR State and are encouraged to contact the disabilities coordinator on their campus. The more we know about you as an individual, the better we can accommodate your educational needs. If you have a disability that may affect your success, performance or well-being at the College, it is important you share that information with the disabilities coordinator, the College does not identify students with a disability on the application. Our goal is to ensure every student is informed of our services and available educational accommodations.

Our disabilities coordinators are located on each of our three campuses.
Orange Park Campus - (904) 276-6855 - Academic Advising, V Building
Palatka Campus - (386) 312-4035 - Academic Advising, V Building
St. Augustine Campus - (904) 808-7402 - Academic Advising, A Building

Do I have to inform St. Johns River State College that I have a disability?
No. However, if you want an educational accommodation, you must inform us. You will need to register with the disabilities coordinator on your campus and provide documentation verifying your disability. It is the student’s responsibility to identify their disability to the disability coordinator, the College will not identify students with a disability. The documentation and information you share with us will be kept private and strictly confidential.

Do I have to inform St. Johns River State College that I have a disability?
No. However, if you want an educational accommodation, you must inform us. You will need to register with the disabilities coordinator on your campus and provide documentation verifying your disability. It is the student’s responsibility to identify their disability to the disability coordinator, the College will not identify students with a disability. The documentation and information you share with us will be kept private and strictly confidential.

What educational accommodations are provided?

  • Note takers
  • Readers and scribes
  • Testing accommodations
  • Technology needs and assistive devices
  • Alternative textbooks
  • Priority registration

Every effort will be made to tailor individual accommodations to your specific needs. Additional resources available to help assure student success will also be discussed. For any specific questions regarding disability services, feel free to contact SJR State Advising at (386) 312-4035 or the Dual Enrollment office at (386) 312-4136.

Associate in Arts Degree (A.A.)

1. The Associate in Arts degree, or A.A., is a transfer degree for students that wish to transfer into the state university system as a junior.

2. The A.A. degree requires a minimum of 60 college level credit hours, which includes 36 credit hours of general education and 24 credit hours of transfer program prerequisites/electives.

3. The 24 credit hours of prerequisite courses will depend on the students major.

4. The student’s major determines the number of prerequisites. A student may have to take more than 24 hours to satisfy their major’s prerequisites, especially engineering, health, math, and science majors.

5. If you are planning to graduate with your A.A. degree, be sure you meet your major’s prerequisites before graduating with the A.A. degree.

Associate in Science (A.S.)

1. The Associate in Science degree, or A.S., is designed to get students in to a career at the semi-professional level.

2. The AS provides general education and program specific education related to a specific career.

3. The A.S. is designed to help develop a well-rounded individual and enhance employment opportunities.

4. The A.S. degree will transfer, but depending on the university’s requirements, students may need to take additional general education courses: English, math, social science, science, and/or humanities.

5. Research the prerequisites for your major, look at the universities requirements that you are interested in attending.

What are prerequisites?

1. Prerequisites are course requirements mandated by colleges and university as being necessary for upper-level entry into the student’s major.

2. There are no nationally stated prerequisites. Colleges may differ slightly depending upon the state, but most institutions of higher learning have similar prerequisites.

3. A prerequisite course is a course that is required to be taken prior to the course that you wish to enroll in.

4. Always read the course catalog to determine if there are prerequisites required to be completed before you are eligible to take a class. If you have not taken the prerequisites, you will not be able to enroll in that course because the prerequisites provide foundation.

Dual Enrollment Students’ Responsibilities

1. Dual Enrollment Application needs to be completed (with a pen) in a legible and accurate manner.
    a. Please be sure the following information is provided:

        i. Full legal name as presented on birth certificate
        ii. Correct Social Security Number
        iii. Correct birthdate (please check your birth year)

    b. If using ACT or SAT test scores, please provide a copy of your official test scores when turning in your dual enrollment application to your high school’s dual enrollment contact.

    c. If using AICE, AP, or IB test scores, please provide a copy of your official test scores when requesting to use these scores to satisfy prerequisite requirements.

2. Students will need to be able to login to MySJRstate, in order to view their schedules, grades, etc.

3. Students will need to be able to communicate any issues to the appropriate people (high school contact, dual enrollment office, faculty, parents, etc.)

4. Students will need to keep track of all deadlines (ie, add/drop deadline, withdrawal deadline, etc.)

5. Students with disabilities need to provide documentation to SJR State’s Counseling Office, in order to receive accommodations.

6. Students need to inform the Dual Enrollment Office of any changes: address, phone number, high school, test scores, etc.

7. Students are responsible for knowing college and course policies (parking decal, academic integrity, etc.)

8. Students are responsible for ordering their college transcript once they have graduated from high school.

9. Students need to declare their intent of graduating with their AA/HS diploma to the Dual Enrollment Office before registering for fall dual enrollment courses for their senior year.

SJR State’s Dual Enrollment Office:

What happens at 30 credit hours?
A dual enrollment student must declare an intended major and intended transfer college or university. The student needs to contact the Dual Enrollment Office by calling 386-312-4136 to schedule an advising appointment and/or to give the requested information.