While the College has made every effort to present its spring, summer and fall graduates with a traditional, in-person ceremony, concerns regarding COVID-19 and proper social distancing continue to prevail. After exploring several alternatives, the College has made the difficult decision to cancel the in-person ceremony set for December 17.
However, we are pleased to announce our plans to honor ALL spring, summer and fall graduates with a virtual ceremony.
Although the graduates will not walk across a physical stage, this virtual ceremony will allow graduates to celebrate their accomplishments at home with their family and friends as it streams “live” on the SJR State’s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/SJRstate).
The spring/summer virtual ceremony will stream on Thursday, December 17 at 6:00 p.m.
The fall virtual ceremony will stream Thursday, December 17 at 7:30 p.m.
This pre-recorded ceremony will include messages from President Joe Pickens, College administration, faculty and staff, and the graduate’s submitted photo.
The College is in the process of notifying the spring graduates by U.S. mail and fall candidates by email. Graduates are asked to monitor their College emails and the College website for additional information as it becomes available.
If you choose to participate in the virtual ceremony, please submit the following:
- A vertical, high-resolution photo of yourself.
Please refrain from wearing clothing that displays sayings, brands, logos, etc. For your background, we suggest using a blank wall or uncluttered outdoor space. Spring graduates who purchased a cap and gown earlier this year may submit their photo in their cap and gown if they choose. Please do not submit “professional” portraits, unless written permission from the photographer is included. Letters that state “personal use” will not qualify, since the ceremony is a college-produced video.
- Your name as you would like to see it appear in the virtual ceremony.
- Your student ID number.
- Your date of birth.
- The degree/certificate you have earned. For example – Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Applied Science, or Certificate.
- Email your photo and information to
- Please indicate in your email subject line: Spring, summer or fall virtual graduate, LAST NAME
- The deadline for spring graduates is November 5.
- The deadline for fall graduates is November 15.
FALL GRADUATES: It is important that you still complete the graduation application (http://www.sjrstate.edu/forms/graduationapplication.pdf), which officially notifies the College of a student’s intent to graduate. This deadline is November 2.
Cap and gowns are not required for the virtual ceremony. If you have already purchased your cap and gown, a refund will be given.
A diploma cover, graduation program and a special gift will be mailed to you in January 2021.
Please note: Participating in the virtual ceremony does not mean you have met all degree or certificate requirements for graduation.
If you have any questions, please contact the SJR State Public Relations Office at (386) 312-4020. We look forward to your participation.
Students should be aware of the graduation requirements. These include the core curriculum, payment of all fees, and any work required in special programs. It is the student's responsibility to determine the courses necessary for transfer to any upper division college or university and to meet any program specific courses required by those upper division programs. Students should see an advisor prior to submitting a graduation application.
To begin the application process students should take the following steps:
- Complete an online graduation application. There is no fee to submit a graduation application.
- Fulfill all obligations, financial and other, to the College.
- All graduates are encouraged to attend the graduation ceremony. There is a fee to purchase caps and gowns.
- For subsequent graduations, prospective graduates must still apply to graduate.
When processing your application for graduation, the following graduation requirements will be reviewed:
- Completion of the required courses and number of credits
- Minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA
- 25 percent residency requirement mandated by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (Students must have earned a minimum of 25 percent of the credits toward their degree at SJR State.)
- Honors designation - PLEASE NOTE: For the purpose of recognition at the graduation ceremony, an honors designation is based on all grades.
3.5-3.69 cum laude (with honor)
3.7-3.84 magna cum laude (with high honor)
3.85-4.00 summa cum laude (with highest honor)
These graduates are recognized at graduation ceremonies and have these distinctions noted on their permanent records.