SJR State holds two graduation ceremonies, one at the end of each spring and fall term. Degree/certificate candidates are encouraged to participate in the exercise.
- Students desiring to participate in the ceremony must apply for graduation and purchase a cap and gown by the deadline
- Students eligible for summer graduation may choose to march in the prior spring ceremony with special permission, or the next fall ceremony after all requirements have been fulfilled.
- There is no rehearsal prior to the ceremony. Graduates must assemble dressed in cap and gown at the Thrasher-Horne Center at the side entrance at 9:00 a.m.
Students should be aware of the graduation requirements. These include the core curriculum, payment of all fees, and any work required in special programs. It is the student's responsibility to determine the courses necessary for transfer to any upper division college or university and to meet any program specific courses required by those upper division programs. Students should see an advisor prior to submitting a graduation application.
To begin the application process students should take the following steps:
- Complete an online graduation application. There is no fee to submit a graduation application.
- Fulfill all obligations, financial and other, to the College.
- All graduates are encouraged to attend the graduation ceremony. There is a fee to purchase caps and gowns.
- For subsequent graduations, prospective graduates must still apply to graduate.
When processing your application for graduation, the following graduation requirements will be reviewed:
- Completion of the required courses and number of credits
- Minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA
- 25 percent residency requirement mandated by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (Students must have earned a minimum of 25 percent of the credits toward their degree at SJR State.)
- Honors designation - PLEASE NOTE: For the purpose of recognition at the graduation ceremony, an honors designation is based on all grades.
3.5-3.69 cum laude (with honor)
3.7-3.84 magna cum laude (with high honor)
3.85-4.00 summa cum laude (with highest honor)
These graduates are recognized at graduation ceremonies and have these distinctions noted on their permanent records.
Before the Ceremony
Apply to graduate and purchase caps and gowns from the Bookstore by the deadline posted in the academic calendar.
Please assemble at the Thrasher-Horne Center at the Orange Park Campus at 9:00 a.m. Leave personal items (purses, telephones, etc.) locked in your vehicle or with friends/relatives. SJR State College staff members cannot be responsible for personal items during the ceremony.
Proceed to the tables to pick up your card – alphabetically by last name. Keep this card with you at all times and hand it to the narrator when you approach the platform. Your name will be announced as you walk across the stage.
Approximately an hour before the ceremony you will be asked by the marshals to start lining up for the processional. Other than grouping you by degree; B.A.S., B.S., A.A., A.S., and certificates there is no particular order for marching, so you may line up with your classmates and friends.
At this time all cell phones and beepers should be turned off.
Tassels should be worn on the RIGHT side.
During the Ceremony
As a part of the degree conferral process, you will be escorted to the platform for individual recognition. Please hand the name card you received to the narrator when you reach the stage. When you cross the stage, you will receive your diploma cover and the president will shake your hand. You will then leave the stage by the opposite wing, have your picture taken, and return to your row and seat.
A professional photographer from Bob Knight Photo Marketing, Inc. will take your picture with the president and again after you receive your diploma cover and cross the stage. The proofs will be sent to you in the mail. Your photographs will be available for purchase if you choose. There will also be ample time for photographs during the reception.
All candidates are expected to remain at their seats throughout the entire ceremony. Please plan for a minimum of one hour and fifteen minutes. Please ask family and friends to remain seated to ensure the solemnity of the ceremony.
After the Ceremony
Your official diploma or certificate will be mailed to the address indicated on your graduation application in 6- 8 weeks. If you do not meet all the requirements for graduation, you will be notified in writing to the address indicated on your graduation application.
Transcripts that have been requested to be sent upon degree confirmation will be mailed once graduation has been posted.
Bob Knight Photo Marketing, Inc. will send the proofs to you in the mail, should you choose to purchase. However, you are under no obligation to purchase pictures.
The Thrasher-Horne Center will open for seating at 9:30 a.m. Guests who wish to sit together should arrive at the same time. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Overflow seating is available in the balcony. Please remain in your seats throughout the ceremony. Anyone using devices making loud noises will be asked to leave immediately.
Guests requiring special accommodations such as wheelchair access, interpreter, etc., should call 386-312-4127 or email the College at .
Handicapped parking is available in designated spaces. Pre-seating is available. Guests needing interpreter services should notify one of the ushers at the entrance.
There will be ample time for photographs at the reception following the ceremony.