COLLIER-BLOCKER IN-DISTRICT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The SJR State Collier-Blocker In-District Scholarships are designed specifically for residents of SJR State’s service district who would potentially otherwise not have the ability to attend college. A minimum total of 12 scholarships will be available each year to students from Clay, Putnam, and St. Johns Counties. This scholarship is for students at the Postsecondary Adult Vocational or Associate Degree level only (the scholarship will not cover Bachelor’s level coursework). Students are selected on the basis of their desire to pursue their education at SJR State and their demonstrated ability to succeed in college. The value of the scholarship includes tuition, fees, and all required textbooks for up to 36 semester hours of enrollment at SJR State per academic year. The Collier-Blocker Scholarship cannot be used for Bachelor’s degree classes at St. Johns River State College. The Collier Blocker Scholarship is awarded in the Spring, to be used for the following academic year.
Procedures for Applying:
- Students wishing to apply for the Collier Blocker In-District Scholarship may now do so through the SJR State Foundation’s Scholarship System.
- The Collier Blocker In-District Scholarship is due prior to April 1st.
- Students must email Meghan Deputy a one page letter detailing why they are deserving of the Collier Blocker In-District Scholarship. Letters must be sent to prior to the April 1st deadline.
Program Eligibility Requirements:
Students must be a current resident of Clay, Putnam, or St. Johns Counties and must be enrolling in a Postsecondary Adult Vocational or Associate-level program (scholarship is not available to students in Baccalaureate programs). First time in college students must demonstrate an ability to succeed in college through placement on the sliding scale for initial academic eligibility and must possess a minimum of a 2.0 GPA. The selection committee will consider all complete applications that meet the minimum eligibility requirements; however, all eligible students may not be awarded a scholarship. Decisions regarding the awarding of the SJR State Collier-Blocker In-District Scholarship will be made by the Scholarship Selection Committee based on the eligible students’ personal statement, demonstrated need, and history.
- With posting of grades at the end of the spring semester, have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 and earn the equivalent number of credit hours for which the award was received.
- Maintain continuous enrollment (no breaks in enrollment except for summer) until completion/graduation.
- Participate in at least two scheduled mentoring/tutoring/college success activities each fall and spring semester. Participation in additional mentoring/tutoring/college success activities may be required based on academic progress reports.
- Including college preparatory classes, the scholarship will fund a maximum of 72 credits, or until completion of an Associate Degree, whichever occurs first, the Collier-Blocker Scholarship cannot be used for Bachelor’s degree classes at St. Johns River State College. Students must work with their Advisor and assigned Mentor to ensure they are taking the appropriate courses and prerequisite courses for their intended major. The scholarship is also non-transferable, and can only be used at St. Johns River State College.
- In order to be considered for scholarship renewal, the scholarship recipient must notify Meghan Deputy of his/her intent to renew the scholarship by May 1.
Please direct all scholarship and renewal questions to: