To all of our valued veterans and their families using VA Education benefits:
St. Johns River State College has received guidance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs based on the recently passed legislation (Senate Bill 3503, signed into law March 21, 2020) regarding how veterans GI Bill benefits are being impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The following is a summary of how different programs are impacted:
- For courses that were converted to an online modality, no changes will be submitted to the VA and there will be no impact to students Tuition and Fee’s payments, as well as BAH monthly stipends and book stipends. However, other types of changes to the students enrollment status may affect payments ( i.e. dropped courses or withdrawals). Non COVID-19 related changes must still be reported per normal requirements.
- For schools who discontinue training in select programs (i.e. Law Enforcement, etc.) the school must report changes for the students whose training is stopped. Current law only provides protection for stoppage in training when the school ceases operations completely (temporary or permanent). The School Certifying Official must report the date that training ceased and report the remark as COVID-19 as the reason for the cessation of training. The veterans affected in this category will then receive 4 weeks of BAH from the last day of attendance. Once training resumes in its normal format, the students who return to complete the training will once again be certified for the remainder of the program length and hours.
We thank all of our veterans and their families for the selfless service provided to our country. If you have further questions, please feel free to reach out to the Financial Aid Office (386) 312-4040 or VA (888) 442-4551 for additional guidance.
Active duty military, disabled veterans and families of fallen veterans have their own financial
aid programs paid for by the federal government. For more information, call or visit one of SJR State's
campus financial aid offices or log on to the Department of Veterans Affairs, GI Bill at www.gibill.va.gov.
We STRONGLY encourage all Veterans who will be attending SJR State to apply for Federal financial aid using the FAFSA. SJR State's federal school code for the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is 001523. Veterans are encouraged to apply for financial aid by April 1st for the upcoming academic year.
Hybrid classroom delivery will be considered a classroom course by the VA.
Chapter 30 - New GI Bill
Members of the armed forces, who entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, will receive financial aid under this program.
Chapter 31 - Disabled Veterans
Members having a service-connected disability that entitles them to veteran compensation through that provision can receive financial aid for college under this program.
Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
This benefit is for those veterans who served 90 days on an honorable active duty after 9/10/01. Reservists must serve a minimum of 90 days aggregate active duty after 9/10/01. Full benefits are paid to those who served at least 36 months after 9/10/01. Those who serve less time receive a proportional benefit. Chapter 33 also include recipients of the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship and Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB)dependents where the veteran transferred Post 9/11 benefits to spouse or children.
Chapter 35 - Survivor and Dependents
Sons, daughters and spouses of veterans who died in service as a result of a service-connected disability or who became permanently and totally disabled while in the service are eligible for financial aid through this program.
Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve Program
This program provides financial aid for members of the selected reserve who are certified by their unit commander and the VA.
To assist Veterans in receiving their benefits, we will need to receive either the Certificate of Eligibility (sent to the Veteran by the VA approximately 2 weeks after the application for benefits is completed) or a printed copy of the Application for VA Benefits along with a copy of the DD Form 214. Please be prepared to bring these documents with you to the Financial Aid / Veterans Office at the nearest SJR State campus.
In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:
- Prevent the student’s enrollment;
- Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
- Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
- Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.
However, to qualify for this provision, such students are required to:
- Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
- Provide a written request to be certified
- Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional polices
The students program must be approved in WEAMS and courses must be required for the students program of study.
For more information:
Orange Park (904) 276-6800,
Palatka (386) 312-4040
St. Augustine (904) 808-7400, Option: 2